Friday 28 February 2014

Wind Beneath My Wings

Disclaimer: The above video is not owned by me. It is included so that you can hear how the song relates to this story.

          When I stepped on the grand carpet, which was designed for the “Floor event” of the ongoing Gymnastics competition, I breathed in deeply. On the sidelines, my brother’s face appeared amongst the many faces of my gymnast comrades. My heart swelled with love and gratefulness for everything he had sacrificed for me to be here. At this moment, his profound love and compassion was conveyed clearly to me and I realized the pain he must have endured as he dealt with countless hardships over the past years. He was content to let me shine, because the happiness emanating from me will always encompass and warm him in the cold shadows.

          I will show you, brother. At the first tumble, I soared like an eagle and landed with grace. I will perform the best because of your support. You were the one who gave me the strength to go on and to never give up on my dreams. On the second stunt, I did a back flip perfectly. As I finished with a striking pose, I stood proudly with a beaming smile.

          For so long, I have not had the chance to express my immense gratitude for bringing us up singlehandedly. The competition results were announced and I was the champion gymnast. I had all the glory and congratulations, but he only watched with pride. I would be nothing without my brother. He has always been my hero, my role model. He was the reason I became successful in achieving my dream. I had flown higher than any eagle in the sky.

          With tears of joy, I rushed up to him and embraced him tightly. Staring at him in wonder, I whispered in his ear, “You are the wind beneath my wings.”


-Based on the song Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler
[300-word composition]

No comments:

Post a Comment